20 January 2008

Back in Debrecen






Here we go again, as every time it feels like a new beginning!
Back in August, back in Bajcsy Zsinlinsky, back where it all began...
the same feeling of remoteness in the Piac utca, the beautiful elegant street, the spine of Debrecen, in August when ice-cream and beautiful people are everywhere - or to put it correctly when they are really there. I take refuge in the Belgian cafe, where the waiters look at me inquisitively whenever I attempt to address them in their own language.
Anyway, a soup is a soup, leves is leves.
It feels like a new arrival too... As in 'arriving in a new place', not as in 'another arrival'. I find the city a bit tough for lonely people. And although I'm only there for a few hours, hoping for a few good pictures to look at in my London room, hoping to see a familiar face, I'm still the same traveler in this place. Sometimes experience takes over the moment, our 'status'. Nostalgia is not a strange invention, we just have a vivid feeling, a memory of experience (hence an experience!) attached to a place we would need to be re-attached to, to feel it differently. The walls of this city have a glare of nostalgia echoing between every building.
But then we are all curious travelers, to end up in a city like this one. Expectations don't lead us very far in terms of discovery. And 'Curious' has a double faced truth...

During the day, I have time to lurk along the piac-utca, from the small market-stalls next to the station to the glorious historical university building in the north of the city; I have time to re-discover the smears of graffiti artists probably locally known, but unknown to them their presence on this blog; I have time to hide in the corners of basement "Tea-Ház" in central, time to visit Szola Rádio, who now have new people, new locations, and where I had left so many good memories; time for soup, leves is leves...


Back in writing,
Dylan

No comments: