14 February 2008

Waking up - two years ago

Two years ago, for the first time, I was waking up in a big room, lying on a home-made mattress. It was a first taste of freedom, after an evening spent discovering cheep pints of Borsodi beers and discussing the little experience I had as an independent individual. This had been the first evening on the verge of discovering a new country, discovering myself in a new life. This was not the oriental dream of going east, it was pursuing an urge to travel east of Berlin I inherited from high-school exchanges. I had finished the evening walking along the beautiful Duna with my host, completely drunk and sobbing a broken heart, half-tears, half-részeg. Részeg, for pissed. Stuff I didn't know at the time, having only just nearly registered some of the basic national drink-greeting vocabulary. I was waking up to the smell of something half-pancake, half-bread, or even half-cake. Confusion was such I could easily have analyzed the situation in reference to three halves of a whole.
Not knowing...
This is in many respects, the best thing I inherited from my first 3 weeks in Magyar land.
Not expecting, but ready as a street agent with his digital camera and imaginary weapons.
I woke up on Valentine's day, not realising this for one moment. I ended up at Kriszta and Pille's flat, the blind couple that hosted me before my departure for Debrecen - and was probably interrupting a nice evening for two - still not realising.
Now I realise this day is over, but I love it all the same. Looking forward is something which differs strongly from a fresh arrival, where the only thing that counts in your integration is the desire to experience, discover, feel, and encounter more... Desires which still flourish, but in the same way as one grows a little garden in the back yard, or a little flower bed to show, share, cherish a little happiness.
Akkor marad nekem az angol szó - ezek a szavak mint egy kis virág-ágy adok neked.
Flower-beds from the gentle clouds...

No comments: